Book of Spells – Part 2


I’m back for another book update.  Today’s post is showing you what I did for the inside of the front cover.

I wanted to make the first page feel like you were entering the witches secret room which meant I needed a key and lock.  I chose the word key and key hole from the Tim Holtz Idea-ology line of products.  The word “secret” is perfect for this project.  Even though I love these just the way they are I had to make them spooky for this album.  Get ready…..I changed them completely.

From this……                                                                              to this!

     

This is the process I used to changed the look.  I painted over the metal embellishments with acrylic paint.   I used Golden Straw from DecoArt for my first coat.

I remember the first time I painted over metal embellishments.  I felt soooo guilty!!!  Now I just stop worrying about covering up that beautiful metal.  You can keep adding layer and layer of paint and glimmer mists and the look will be different each time.  I hope you all will take a deep breath, just as I did, and jump in and play with color.  You will love it!

My next color layer was purple.  I used Purple Smoke because the color was a perfect march and I thought the name worked too 🙂  Just dab it on wherever you want.  If you look close you can even see my fingerprints.  I didn’t always use the brush to get the effect below.  I used my finger and smeared the paint as well as dabbing it.

This look was good for what I wanted but I felt it needed some more dimension so I added Perfect Pearls in Perfect Pearl and also some Tattered Angels Mist in Plum Fairy.  I opened the bottle and used the plastic tube attached to the sprayer to just drip the excess solution onto the area I wanted.  You can either let it air dry or use your heat tool.  Just remember that the metal gets HOT if you use the heat tool.

     

Once dry I added a touch of brown to tie the earthy look.  I just received my new Seasonal Distress Inks in Ripe Persimmon, Gathered Twigs and Seedless Preserves.  I used the Gathered Twigs to add my brown accent.

I wanted a bit of the original metal still showing through so I took an old sanding block and scuffed up a few areas.  I also used a mat spray for a durable finish.

I decided to hang the key from the upper left hand side of the inside cover.  I punched a hole with  my Crop-a-dile and added a grommet.  I made the finished side of the grommet on the inside.  I removed the split ring from a swivel clasp (Idea-ology too) and threaded the chain through the grommet from the inside toward the outside.  Add some coordinating beads onto the split ring and reattach to complete the assembly.

     

Just attach the key and this part is complete.

I chose to trim around one of the flocked spider webs from my paper collection.  The Stampin’ Up! Paper Snips worked great for trimming those curves.  I used the Beacon’s 3-in-1 glue to secure the web to the patterned paper.  It dries clear and does not show through the transparency.

           

My finished inside cover looks like this….

To be continued…..

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s