Steampunk Gravestone


Halloween is getting close….just a few days away!  I have been working hard on making this gravestone home decor project and I am quite happy with the end result.  I do not usually do a “dark” themed project for Halloween but I couldn’t help myself this year once I found these cute skulls at Michaels.  Lots of hard work  but well worth the effort.

I wanted to make the edges of the stone look as realistic as possible so I chose to use light modeling paste.  I used a pallet knife and swirled on the paste leaving irregular areas.  Once the modeling paste was partially dry I patted it down flat in certain areas resembling the split area of real marble.  Of course I had to use my Distress Ink on just about every area of this project.  I can’t do without my Timmy inks. LOL

The grave stone was made from medium weight chipboard.  I used my AccuCut Door die.  It was the perfect size for this project!  I secured it to a chipboard base, leaving the right side movable for storing the mini album.  Of course I needed something creepy coming out of the door so I added a skeleton hand I found at Michaels.  I grunged it up using the same inks and added a chain closure which hooks around the finger.

The front and back of the stone is covered with Basic Gray Stampin’ Up! card stock.  I did some distress inking and then sprayed Blue Smoke Perfect Pearls Mist.  I also dripped and splattered black re-inker and Mardis Gras Glimmer Mist by Tattered Angels.

I used Black Soot, Vintage Photo and Peeled Paint Distress Ink for this mossy effect.  I just kept building up the layers of color until I liked the result.

I also added a variety of Tim Holtz Idea-ology metal goodies  for that Steampunk look.  There are even a few touches of black rub-ons!  I also added deep navy flocking into the eye sockets of the small skulls.

The gears were die cut from the Spellbinders Sprightly Sprockets Shapeabilities  die.  I cut them from Stampin’ Up! Night of Navy card stock inking them with black and metallic silver ink.  I also added Distress Embossing Powder in Walnut Stain and some beads and brads for additional dimension.

This is a closer view of the hand detail.

The fall leaves were die cut from the Idea-ology Kraft Glassine Paper, crinkled and inked with distress ink.  The shapes are Sizzix Tattered Leaves by Tim Holtz and Spellbinders Assorted Leaves Die.  I added Distress Crackle Paint in Rock Candy on top of the ink.  While the Rock Candy was still wet I dropped in some flat black seed beeds.  It reminds me of some of those add little bumps you find on fall leaves.

The paper vines were cut from Little Leaves Stampin’ Up! Sizzlits die using patterned paper.   I sprayed them with Sour Apple Perfect Pearls Mist and, once dry, inked them with Black Soot Distress Ink to grunge them up a bit.

I will be posting the finished mini album for this project next…….hope you like it so far!

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s